TRAINING & EVENT UPDATE
Alabama Association of Floodplain Managers Upcoming Events
AAFM 2020 Fall Conference
Island House Hotel (A Doubletree by Hilton), Orange Beach | October 19th to 21st
- Address: 26650 Perdido Beach Blvd, Orange Beach, AL 36561 | Phone: (251) 981-6100
The 2020 AAFM Fall Conference will be held in beautiful Orange Beach, AL on October 19th through the 21st at the renowned Island House Hotel in the heart of Orange Beach. The amenities throughout the hotel have a modern elegance and the accommodations are plush. It sits on the shoreline of Orange Beach with a beautiful view of the Gulf's beaches just outside. Join us in this wonderful setting for an opportunity to learn from and network with other floodplain managers from around the state and region.
To accommodate those of you unable to attend in person, we will be making provisions to host the technical sessions virtually. Additional login and access information will be sent out to those who register for the virtual option. For those that will be joining us in-person, you will have the option of choosing a morning or afternoon in-person session. For those who choose to learn remotely, we will have live events during the early session each day.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are embarking upon new territory to make this conference a success, but as professionals, colleagues, floodplain managers, academia, etc. we are providing you with valuable continued educational credits at a time where virtual training is predominately the only option.
To accommodate the meeting room capacity restrictions of 50 participants, the schedule for the morning (early) and afternoon (late) sessions will be:
- Monday - Early: 12:30 - 2:30 PM | Late: 3:00 - 5:00 PM
- Tuesday - Morning: 8:00AM - 12:00PM | 1:00 - 5:00 PM
- Wednesday - Morning: 8:00AM - 12:00PM | 1:00 - 5:00 PM
For those interested, the CFM exam and a general NFIP/floodplain management review class will be offered in conjunction with this year’s conference.
If you prefer to download the registration form to complete and mail into AAFM, please use the pdf version of the . Or, go to the REGISTRATION LINK provided below to register online. If you have any questions please contact Josh Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chuck Lay at email@example.com.
AAFM 2020 CONFERENCE REGISTRATION
Alabama Office of Water Resources NFIP Office
Upcoming Events in 2020:
Advanced Floodplain Management Concepts - Location and Date(s) TBD
Each Advanced Floodplain Management topic is designed to be discussed and reviewed in greater detail than the basic course. Each topic is intended to be covered in a one day (6-7 hour) module with the exception of two (indicated below). Development and real-life scenarios will be examined and exercises will be conducted in each section to make sure participants not only understand the rules and regulations but also why they are in place and how to apply them in the particular topic areas. These courses are exercise rich and participants should expect to be actively engaged throughout. Advanced topics include:
- NFIP Floodplain Rules and Regulations in Depth
- LOMC - Procedures for Applying and Floodplain Management Implications
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Local Floodplain Manager
- Preparing for Post-Disaster Responsibilities
- Higher Standards in Floodplain Management
- Placement of Manufactured Homes and Recreational Vehicles in the Floodplain
- NFIP Flood Insurance Principles for the Floodplain Manager
- Hydrology and Hydraulics for the FPM
- Floodway Standards
- Disconnects between NFIP Regulations and Insurance
- Common Noncompliance Issues (½ day)
- Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps (DFIRMs) (½ day)
- Substantial Improvement/Substantial Damage
Local Floodplain Administrators, Certified Floodplain Managers (CFM), Community Officials that review construction permits for floodplain development.
Recent AL NFIP Office Events:
L-273: Managing Floodplain Management Through the NFIP
- Montgomery, AL -- January 27-30, 2020