FEMA - Floodplain Management Specialist Vacancy within Hazard Mitigation Cadre of the Reservist Program.
FEMA is seeking talented, experienced men and women for the role of Floodplain Management Specialist within the Hazard Mitigation Cadre of the Reservist Program. FEMA Reservists are disaster workforce employees who work on an on-call basis to support survivors of all-hazard incidents. In this role, you will provide technical assistance to facilitate floodplain management in support of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) objectives and requirements.
Primary Position Duties include:
- Providing basic technical assistance to and responding to inquiries from internal and external partners on floodplain management (e.g., completing floodplain determinations for proposed temporary housing sites).
- Analyzing program-related data that impacts floodplain management objectives to make recommendations, identify problems and support decision-making.
- Coordinating with immediate supervisor to identify State and local Hazard Mitigation priorities.
- Communicating with internal/external partners and communities to advance floodplain management concepts.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships and working with local officials, such as city/county councils, building officials, and floodplain managers in coordination with the State.
To qualify for this position, you must possess one of the following:
- Experience analyzing program-related data that impacts floodplain management objectives;
- Experience working with floodplain permits, to include land use of permit processing and substantive review sequencing;
- Experience working in Floodplain Management with a directly related Federal Agency;
- Experience working in the private or non-profit sectors with Watershed Commissions, Conservation Groups, or similar entities that focus on substantial waterway or flood plain related causes;
- Experience directly working as a local Floodplain Management Specialist working through the certification process;
- A college degree (Associate’s level or higher) in a related field such as Community Planning, Geology, or Floodplain or Watershed Management.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social).
TO APPLY: submit your resume to Fema-Careers@fema.dhs.gov and include “Floodplain Management Specialist” in the subject line OR apply online at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/471477700 For additional information about FEMA’s Reservist Program visit https://careers.fema.gov/reservists-program.